Once you’ve made the decision to refresh the look of your home with an exterior painting project, your next step is to find a trustworthy, experienced contractor to bring your vision to life. A fresh coat of paint is an investment that will hopefully improve the look of your home for years to come, so it’s important to find the most qualified contractor for the job. Here are seven tips for hiring the perfect exterior painting contractor to help make your home look its best.
- Search for a contractor who demonstrates professionalism. The ideal contractor will be one you feel a level of trust and comfort with. He or she should be punctual, informative, and knowledgeable about the latest techniques and trends in exterior painting. The right person for the job will be ready to offer suggestions about what he or she believes will work best for your home.
- Request a clear, detailed, written estimate. There should be no surprises when it comes to the cost of your job. Your contractor should be ready to provide a quote that breaks down the costs of the painting process, the labor involved, and detailed descriptions of the materials to be used.
- Ask what kind of safeguards they will utilize to protect your home. In addition to the exterior of your home, there is more to your property that is valuable that you have likely invested time, money, and energy into maintaining. The right contractor will be prepared to protect your landscaping, yard, and other property by placing drop cloths or laying plastic sheets down.
- Do your research. In this digital age, it is easier than ever to view portfolios and find online ratings and reviews for every kind of job imaginable, including painting contractors. Your contractor should be willing and able to provide references and examples of past projects. The ideal contractor for your job should be experienced and confident in their work.
- Ask what awards or certifications your contractor has received. Awards from review aggregators and digital marketplaces like HomeAdvisor indicate that not only is your contractor experienced, but they’ve also been recognized for the quality of their work. Certifications, such as the Environmental Protection Agency’s Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting certificate, reflect additional knowledge and training that your contractor has received. While not a requirement, these types of recognition can increase your confidence in your potential contractor.
- Find a contractor who relies on quality products. Inexpensive products may save you money in the short term, but higher-end, premium products cost more for a reason: they can last longer and look better than their cheaper counterparts. Ask your potential contractor what their preferred products are and why they use them.
- Confirm that your contractor has credentials. The perfect contractor for your job will carry both workers’ compensation insurance and general liability insurance that can be used in the event of property damage or injury. If the unexpected occurs and your home or property is inadvertently damaged during the contractor’s work, his or her insurance can help to cover the cost of fixing the damage.
Contact Us for More Information About Our Home Renovation Services near Glens Falls, NY
When it comes to surpassing your standards and handling your job professionally, Atherton Painting checks all of these boxes, and more. If you’d like to schedule a consultation for your next exterior painting job in Glens Falls, Saratoga or the Lake George region, give us a call at (518) 415-5845 or visit us online at AthertonPainting.com.